Chilli flakes / 50g
Szechuan peppercorns / 1 tbsp
Star anise / 2 wholes
White sesame seeds / 30g
Vegetable oil / 300ml
Salt / about 1 tsp
Chinese black vinegar / 3/4 tbsp
1) Add the salt into the bowl of chilli flakes.
2) Then add in the white sesame seeds and mix well.
3) Place the oil in a pan over medium high heat. Once the oil becomes hot, add in the star anises and szechuan peppercorns.
4) Cook the spices for 3-5 minutes as they gently sizzle in the oil. Stir constantly.
5) Remove the spices when the oil darkens and becomes fragrant. ( Do not overcook the spices as they would burn and create a bitter taste in the oil )
6) Continue cooking the oil until just starting to smoke. Remove from heat and wait for 1-2 minutes before pouring the oil into the chilli flakes mixture in a heat proof bowl.
7) Wait for another minute and add in 3/4 tablespoon of chinese black vinegar. Mix well.
8) Allow to cool before storing in a sealed glass jar. Keep in the fridge and use within 2 months.
9) Enjoy it with salads, dumplings and noodles!